Hurricane Relief Efforts
“Many waters cannot quench love, neither can floods drown it.”
– Song of Solomon 8:7 (NRSV)
In addition to meeting the needs of folks in our own community, we continue to pray and reach out to areas of our state closer to the coast that were devastated by Hurricane Florence. Earlier this week, I wrote about our church’s efforts to assemble clean-up buckets for Church World Service to deliver to counties in our state that need them most. Check out Tuesday’s blog with a checklist of items needed for these buckets. Today, I went to the store to get all the supplies needed to fill one bucket. Each bucket filled with items costs around $70. Here’s how you can help:
- Purchase one or more of the items needed for the bucket. A collection box is located in the hallway outside of the church office.
- Purchase all of the items and fill your own bucket. (We made a example at the church for you to see if you need clarification on any thing). Use this link for detailed instructions on how to pack your buckets.
- Get together with a few folks or your family to create a bucket together.
- Contribute monetarily to the buckets and we will go shopping for you. Checks can be made to Hood Memorial Christian Church, Memo: Clean-up buckets
- Assist the children in assembling the buckets on October 7th.
We also learned yesterday from the region that there is a big need for Hygiene Kits. Hygiene items are bags filled with necessary personal items. These are a bit simpler to fill. Below you will find a checklist of items needed for these bags. Again, we assembled a sample hygiene bag that is in the sanctuary of the church if you would like to see one. The approximate cost of each bag is $12. Again there are several ways you can contribute:
- Purchase a single item or multiple items for the bags.
- Fill your own bags with all the needed supplies. See this link for details on how to put together your bag.
- Get together with a few other folks or family members to create a bag or two together.
- Make a donation to the church and someone will do the shopping for you!
- Help the children assemble the kits on October 7th.
Here’s what you’ll need:
- One hand towel measuring approximately 15″ x 28″ to 16″ x 32″ (no fingertip, bath, dish towel or micro-fiber)
- One washcloth
- One wide-tooth comb removed from the package
- One fingernail or toenail clipper removed from the package
- One bath-size bar of soap in the wrapper
- One toothbrush in the package
- Ten standard size Band-Aids
All items need to fit inside a one-gallon plastic zipper closure bag. Remove the excess air from the bag and seal before boxing. Do NOT add any extra items or toothpaste. A tube of extended expiration date toothpaste will be added to each hygiene kit just prior to its final journey.
Many of us cannot physically get to the coast to help with clean up efforts. These kits will benefit many individuals and families as they pick up the pieces after the storms. We are sharing God’s love and peace through our gifts. We are expressing our own love and support of folks whose lives have been turned upside down quite literally. Thank you for your supporting this ministry.
March 25, 2019
February 18, 2019
February 13, 2019